[ccp4bb]: Custom peptide synthesis

Dear All

Since custom peptide synthesis is a service that many of us use, I just
thought I'd share an unpleasant experience that we recently had with SynPep
Corporation.

SynPep's custom peptide synthesis website
http://www.synpep.com/custompeptides.html lists the per-residue price for
synthesis, including surcharges for any "specials" such as phosphotyrosine
and acetylated terminal groups. After placing the order, we received a
detailed quotation informing us that the prices have changed. In addition to
adding the usual "extras" like shipping and handling charges (these were not
mentioned on the website but most companies do this so we kind of expected
it), they informed us that the prices had changed and our $384 order had now
ballooned to $570, which is about 50% again, on top of the website prices
(inflationary levels not seen since the Weimar Republic).

They offered the lame excuse that they did not control the content of the
website ("they" presumably meaning the sales department at SynPep). So who
does then?

Presumably one of SynPep's competitors!

Needless to say we cancelled our order

Gordon