Re: [ccp4bb]: Truncate Resolution Error

> "Eleanor J. Dodson" wrote:
> > >
> > > TRUNCATE:  *** Data beyond useful resolution limit ***
> > >

> >  Well - it means you have a bin where the <I> is <= 0.0. Which indeed is
> > tantamount to having indexed your data beyons a useful resolution
> > limit..
> >
> I would like to see this become a warning which could be
> ignored at the user's discretion (unless this would completely
> invalidate the French & Wilson treatment). When working at

I don't think this would work. The truncate procedure uses
an interpolated value of the mean intensity in a Wilson distribution,
which is used as prior knowledge. A negative value of this mean
intensity would presumably screw up the Wilson distribution, and
hence the whole procedure. In fact, the code forces it to be
at least a little positive:

      SIGMA = MAX(SIGMA,0.1)

so it might give you wrong answers instead of crashing...

Martyn

> Very Low Resolution, the data do not fall off monotonically
> with resolution, but have a distinct trough around 6A and peak
> near 5A. When we have struggled to improve the resolution to
> the point that we can see clearly useable data around 5A, it is
> discouraging to be told by truncate that we can't use it
> because there is a bin with <I> negative around 6 A.
> Usually we can get around this by playing with the
> bin size until no bin has negative <I>, but this is
> tedious and artificial.
>
> Ed

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@ccp4.ac.uk (personal)    *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603825    E-mail: ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)  *
*          URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/martyn.html                 *