Re: [ccp4bb]: plastic model

Dear Jose,

I'm not sure if its useful in your case but I had a model of a whole
virus
made recently via an .STL file.

1) I got a map file containing the distance of each grid point from the
nearest atom. (A crappy program called VOLUMES I wrote ages ago.)

2) I used BobScript to render the molecular surface by surface
contouring
the map at about 1.4 (Angstroms).

3) I wrote a small program (r3d2stl) to convert the triangulated surface
to STL format.

4) I checked it was OK with the DeskArtes View Expert.

5) I compressed the file with STLZip and emailed it to the RTP group.

STL format is a very limited format and it is a convenient feature of
BobScript surface contouring that the output maps trivially to STL.

Cheers,
Robert Esnouf

--
Dr. Robert Esnouf, Division of Structural Biology,
The Henry Wellcome Building for Genomic Medicine,

Emails: robert@strubi.ox.ac.uk   Tel: (+44) - 1865 - 287560
    and robert@esnouf.com        Fax: (+44) - 1865 - 287547