Re: [ccp4bb]: Trouble in interpreting self-ratation map...

Dear Woo-Cheol Lee,

>Although this may not be related to CCP4, I need your advice
>on the following puzzle.
Most probably CCP4 BB is the best place to discuss such matters.

>(Gel filtration specified it's a hexamer.)
I would not put too much trust in Gel filtration, and your unit cell
can contain more than one oligomer.

>http://www.geocities.com/fakeophelia/self-rotation.gif

Your MOLREP self-rotation map would suggest to me that you have
two tetramers with 222 point group symmetry in your triclinic cell.
These are related by a two-fold NCS  axis (MAIN DYAD)
located at phi=45, omega=90  for which  the rotatin function value
is higher (RFmax = 5691) than other dyads peaks (Chi=180), which
relate dimers in the tetramers and also  odd peaks at Chi=70.8,
Chi=120 and Chi=146.7 (RFmax about 2000)  which relate dimers of the
two
tetramers which are not related by the MAIN DYAD.

>According to Schroder et al. (Structure, 2000, 8(6):605), they
>created 3,600 search models from the interpretation of self-ratation
>map and solved the structure by MR. How can one create such large
>numbers of probes?

Yes we have generated all 36 hundred decamers in the above paper
using
relatively simple C-shell script and a bunch of CCP4 programs.
I can send you this script  and a script to grep and analyse the
solutions
if you are interested.

Best wishes with your molecular replacement studies.

Misha Isupov,
University of Exeter