[ccp4bb]: Discussion on contouring levels.

Dear CCP4 BB subscribers,

     I posted this note to the BB last Thursday afternoon, as this topic was
at its hottest. As my subscription was from an old e-mail address, the note
was never forwarded.

     The topic has cooled down somehow, but the remarks below may still be
of some help in pointing out that basic statistics cannot be ignored, even
by those who do not love them, in the discussion of this question.

Dear Gerard (K) and Andrew,

     It would seem that the 'central' concept behind this discussion is the
Central Limit Theorem. If the lack of fit between Fo and Fc is randomly
distributed without any trends nor correlations, the Fo-Fc map will be made
up of white noise, i.e. its values will be normally distributed, so that the
probability of a 5-sigma deviation will be less than 10**(-6). If the number
of data is so vast that there are of the order of 10**6 independent data
items or more, then a 5-sigma peak can occur by chance and hence be considered
as noise. In more commonplace cases, however, the probability of a 5-sigma
peak occurring by chance would be quite low, and therefore such a peak would
be highly significant, as stated by Andrew.

     GK's counterexample, with which AL disagreed, does seems rather contrived.
If 10 times the sigma of the Fo-Fc map were to be considered as noise by some
criterion, then the same criterion should lead one to conclude that the data
have been grossly overfitted in the first place.

     With best wishes,

         Gerard (B)

According to "Gerard \"DVD\" Kleywegt":