Re: [ccp4bb]: beryllium fluoride-ADP, summary

Flip Hoedemaeker wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Thanks to all for the many reponses. This is a summary.
>
> 1) Do you really want to work with this? It is VERY Toxic! Well, I must say
> I'll think it over again after all the warnings.
> Maybe Aluminium Fluoride is a good alternative.
>
> 2) BeF2 can be purchased. Three companies have been mentioned to me,
> Alfa-Aesar (Germany), Interchim (France) and Strem (US).
>
> 3) BeF2 more often is made by adding proper quantities of BeCl2 and KF (or
> NaF). The extra KCl (or NaCl) in the drop should not worry us! OK, fair
> enough. At least I won't have at least 5 grams of BeF2 left in our chemical
> storage after this experiment!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Flip

Thank you, Flip, for a nice example of the type of summaries
we like to see on the Bulletin Board. It even has the word
'summary' in the subject line, which is the first word I hunt
for when I start making the 'Recent Bulletin Board Discussions'
entry for the CCP4 Newsletter. Depending on how much time I
have to search through the archives, other postings may never
make it to this coveted publication. Please, can I have more
of this type of summary?

Thanks, everyone,
Maria Turkenburg

Dr. Maria Turkenburg
Department of Chemistry            phone: +44 1904 432599
University of York                 fax  : +44 1904 410519
Heslington, York              email: mgwt@ysbl.york.ac.uk
UK-YO1 5DD        URL: http://www.yorvic.york.ac.uk/~mgwt