RE: [ccp4bb]: PowerPoint

Making movies:

Many programs (including my own PyMOL http://www.pymol.org) can be used
to construct movies as collections of numbered static images.  PyMOL
happens to be very convenient for this purpose because you can set up
and preview the movie in real-time (OpenGL) and then render it
(raytraced) automatically.

The difficulty comes in assembling static images into a compressed movie
file.  Although free unix solutions exist which will generate MPEG
movies (with careful tweaking), you'll probably prefer to use a good
PC/Mac software package like Adobe Premiere which does a better job of
creating Quicktime, AVI, or MPEG files with balanced quality,
compression, and performance.

My standard procedure is to set up a movie in PyMOL, render into a
series of numbered PNG files, use Imagemagick to batch convert them to
TGA (targa) format, and them import them into Adobe Premiere using the
"Numbered Stills" option.  I then export the compressed movies as AVI or
Quicktime, and directly import them into PowerPoint for use in
presentations.  The entire process can be accomplished on a PC, but you
can render on an OSX Mac or Unix machine if you prefer.

Note that if you buy a PC laptop equipped with a GeForce2 Go chip (such
as the Dell Inspiron 8000), then you can bypass movies altogether and
just launch a PyMOL script from directly within PowerPoint to present
real-time 3D graphics in the middle of a talk.

Good Luck,
Warren

PS. As of v0.60, PyMOL now has near-Molscript-quality ribbons built-in.

PPS.  PyMOL's PNG files (static) can be directly imported into
PowerPoint -- this is incredibly convenient which making figures on a
PC.

--
mailto:warren@sunesis.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.