Re: [ccp4bb]: detwinning anomalous data

Hi Ambrose,

I don't know if you have double checked this, but be sure that the twin
operation doesn't relate I+ to I-.  In my case R3 with 20% twinning I+ was
related to I+ and I- was related to I- so I could do what you are
suggesting.  However, I believe that not all twinning cases are like this.
Depending on your space group, I+ could be related to I- by the twin
fraction.  Therefore, what you are proposing would not work.

This is just a caution.  Maybe another CCP4 poster/reader has checked all
twinning possibilities to support or refute my caution.  At least one
space group to be careful of is P6 with 2-fold twinning about a,b.  This
combination relates I+ to I- by the twin operator making what you suggest
impractical.

Best of Luck,

Chris

PS. "Non-helpful Advice" - Find un-twinned crystals!  If you found one
that was less twinned, keep searching.  Worked for me - in the end.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Ambrose R Cole wrote:

> I have been having lots of trouble with 50% twinning for a Se-met
> derivative that I am working on.  Recently I have collected a data set
> which appears to be less twinned (33%).  I would like to attempt to detwin
> this data set but keep the anomalous signal.  Is it a good idea to
> seperate the F+ and F-, detwin and then join them back together if so how
> do I join them back together to create a normal mtz file with FP, DANO
> etc.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated
>         thanks
>                 Ambrose

Christopher L. Colbert, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Howard Hughes Medical Institute                   Phone: (214) 648 5002
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center	  FAX:   (214) 648 5095
5323 Harry Hines Boulevard
Dallas, TX 75390