RE: [ccp4bb]: Tetragonal Twinning and Detwin - solution?

Hi There,

While I cannot contribute to the twinning debate, I can offer a quick word
about the choice of space group. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I
recall a piece of wisdom from somebody (sorry, can't remember who) which
says that one should always go for the highest symmetry that gives
consistent results:

If the true symmetry is P4, you might be looking at twice as many molecules
in the asymmetric unit, with an 'accidental' packing that looks like P422.
To distinguish between them, you might want to do rigid body refinement of
the P422 derived model in P4 (using the appropriate 422 symmetry operator to
complete the contents of the P4 asymmetric unit), and then observe how far
apart the two are. If there are genuine differences, go for the lower sp.
gr. However, Rigid Body refinement only tells you about gross errors in
positioning the molecules. This might not be significant. So you might have
to go further and do a full refinement in both sp. gr. and observe
particularly the side chains near interfaces that make lattice contacts. A
few of these differences would force a lower symmetry (P4), but if you
assume the higher symmetry (P422) you would not notice in the statistics,
always taking into account the degree of difference (the resolution
obviously has a great deal of impact on the significance of the
differences). 'Accidental' packing that looks like a higher sp.gr. usually
gives a slightly odd N(z) plot in TRUNCATE, where the observed graphs are to
the left of the theoretical ones. If they are to the right of the
theoretical graphs, especially in the bottom left corner, then you should
suspect twinning.

I hope this helps.

Pierre