Re: [ccp4bb]: Question about TLS refinement in refmac5

After the TLS refinement stage, the TLS parameters are
kept fixed, though of course they continue to contribute
to the calculated structure factor.

By default, the individual B values are then refined (as
well as the coordinates) starting from the values in
XYZIN (aside from a uniform shift to take account of the
global contribution of scaling and TLS). However, if
the keyword "BFAC SET <val>" is used, then the B value
refinement starts from the specified constant value. This
is often a more stable way of doing it.

The former is (A). And the latter is more-or-less equivalent
to your (B).

Regards
Martyn

> Can someone clarify exactly what happens in refmac5 when one
> performs a refinement such as the one shown in the TLS refinement
> example (ex 9 in the refmac5 docs)?
> I understand the TLS refinement itself, but when refmac5 switches
> over to
> 	REFInement BREFinement ISOTropic
> in the same run, what is happening then?
>
> Does it:
>
>    (A) 	keep the TLS parameters fixed but apply the TLS model on
> 	top of the current state of the individual B values as it changes
> 	them?
>    (B) 	translate the current TLS model into equivalent aniso Uij terms
> 	and then further refine an isotropic correction to the diagonal
> 	terms?
>    (C)	continue to refine the TLS parameters but now add in the
> 	B terms as well?
>    (D)	some other possibility I haven't thought of?
>

> --
> Ethan A Merritt       merritt@u.washington.edu
> Biomolecular Structure Center Box 357742
> University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
> phone: (206)543-1421
> FAX:   (206)685-7002

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@ccp4.ac.uk (personal)    *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603825    E-mail: ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)  *
*          URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/martyn.html                 *