[ccp4bb]: Solution to SCALA and TRUNCATE problems

Dear all,

The solution to the problems with SCALA and TRUNCATE I described the
other day was to add "-fno-automatic" to all the Makefiles. Thanks to
Kevin Cowtan for pointing this out. It was in fact the first suggestion
on his "RedHat problems page", but for some reason I had jumped
immediately to the bit at the bottom about not using gcc 2.96. I wasn't
paying attention to the RH compilers debate when it happened.

What I actually did, rather than modifying the Makefiles one by one, was
to add "-fno-automatic" to the XFFLAGS line in $CCP4/configure, i.e.
line 1302:

   XFFLAGS=${XFFLAGS-"-fno-second-underscore -fno-globals -fno-automatic"}

This seemed intuitively the best way to do it but there may be some
drawback I'm unaware of. I should add that I compiled the version I'm
now using with gcc 3.0.1.

Regards
Derek