[ccp4bb]: CCP4 For Linux

Here's my latest attempt to solve the Linux problems: CCP4 For Linux.

CCP4 For Linux is an auto-install script and patches to get a working install
of CCP4 on Linux, and to prove that it is working. It has the following
advantages over the official distribution:

 - Automated installation. Just start the script and leave it.
 - All the bug-fix patches and new programs from the CCP4 prerelease
directory.
 - New Linux patches to fix bad code and work around compiler bugs.
 - UMTZ/MMTZ Micro- and Mini-MTZ libraries. These are lightweight stand-alone
C libraries for accessing MTZ files.
 - Automated test suite which tests unique, cad, mlphare, dm, scala,
truncate, sfall, sigmaa and refmac5 against benchmark results to check that
the suite has compiled correctly.

There are some disadvantages too:

 - No support.
 - Only tested on RedHat 7.2 so far.
 - Currently only installs over a fast net connection.

The current version is called '4L1' which is based on 4.1.1 + prerelease
patches. The version number has been changed to avoid any confusion with
official releases.

Installation Download the ccp4fl.tcsh script here. Put it in the directory
where you want your ccp4-4L1 directory to go, type
  tcsh ccp4fl.tcsh
and answer the question.

The build will take 30 mins - 2 hours, depending CPU speed. If it works, the
log file should end with this:

##### ####  ###  #####
  #   #    #       #
  #   ###   ###    #
  #   #        #   #
  #   ####  ###    #

rm: No match.
mlphare_dm.test.diff                     [OK]
refmac5.test.diff                        [OK]
scala_truncate.test.diff                 [OK]
sfall_sigmaa.test.diff                   [OK]
unique_cad.test.diff                     [OK]

 If you see 'FAIL' instead of 'OK', then the test has failed.

Now email me and tell me what Linux distribution you are running and whether
it worked or not.

Question and Answers

Will there be future versions as CCP4 grows?
  Yes, if I get sufficient response about what platforms it works on.
  I'm especiall interested in other distributions.
What about binary versions?
  Again, it depends if people try it and tell me what happens.
Can I use 'CCP4 For Linux' on Unix
  It is technically possible, although you'll need some GNU utilities,
  and will probably have to tweak the script a bit. I am happy for someone
  to release 'CCP4 For Unix' based on my work, but am not interested in
  doing it myself.

This information is also available on my CCP4 page:
  http://www.yorvic.york.ac.uk/~cowtan/ccp4/ccp4.html

This software has no warranty, and as with my other work it may not be used
anywhere where the no-warranty clause is invalid. (e.g. Maryland, Virginia.)

Kevin

--
Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD