Re: [ccp4bb]: How to make a movie

> I have a protein that adopts two different conformations whether it contains
> calcium or not. In order to illustrate this conformational change, I would like to
> make a movie, but I don't know what kind of software I can use.
> Does anyone recommend any software to do this?

there are two steps to consider:
 - generating the morph (i.e., a set of intermediate models)
 - visualising it

for more information about morphing molecules, see
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/usf/mol_morph.html - this contains hints about both
steps, and provides links to other sites and programs (e.g., "Java Interpol"
which explicitly attempts to avoid some of the unphysical movements that may
occur when you morph in internal-coordinate space, using a method similar to
that implemented by the "fudge parameter" in LSQMAN's morph option, except
they have a fancier name for it;-)

i would use LSQMAN -> O -> MOLRAY, but then i'm biased ;-) molray is nice in
that it allows you to combine morphing with standard animation
(rocking/zooming/etc.); see for instance the following quick-n-dirty morph of
ribose-binding protein:
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/cgi-bin/gerard/image_page.pl?image=usf/pics/rbp_molray.gif&text=Ribose-binding+protein&col=020202&textcol=FEFEFE

--dvd

                        Gerard J.  Kleywegt
    [Research Fellow of the Royal  Swedish Academy of Sciences]
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology  University of Uppsala
                Biomedical Centre  Box 596
                SE-751 24 Uppsala  SWEDEN

    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/  mailto:gerard@xray.bmc.uu.se
   The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
   to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.