Re: [ccp4bb]: GeForce3 vs Quadro2Pro

BS"D

> I'm wondering if it's possible to use stereo with linux with the
> last Nvidia's GPU : GeForce3 Ti500 and the Quadro2 Pro
>
> The linux drivers from www.nvidia.com seem to support stereo

  Since Nvidia doesn't make the cards (as far as I am aware), it's up to
the card manufacturer (Asus, Elsa, etc.) to give you the ability to use
stereo.  The fact sheet pdf of the Elsa Gloria III, which uses the
Quadro2
Pro GPU says that you can use stereo, but the card has no 3 pin port for
the familiar Stereographics type emitter.  I know there are other
systems, but will normal crystallographic software drive them under
linux?    That is why most people talk about ATI and 3Dlabs (oxygen,
wildcat), since they have the port.

> I don't know how to compare the two cards because they don't have the
> same specifications (operations/s VS pixels/s and the fill rate)
> The GeForce3 Ti 500 (~500 euros) is half price of the Quadro2 Pro (~1000
> euros) based graphic card
> I would like to know if the GeForce3 Ti 500 is enough fast and powerful
> to use stereo with O.

  Both are probably over-kill for stereo X-lines graphics, which
is what electron-density fitting uses, but that is not based on any real
experience.

Hope that helps,

Harry

  Harry M. Greenblatt           | Phone: 972-8-934-3625
  Research Assistant            | FAX  :           4159
  Dept. of Structural Biology   |
  Weizmann Institute of Science |
  Rehovot, Israel 76100         | Email: harry.greenblatt@weizmann.ac.il