[ccp4bb]: Re: question about serine conformation

Mao Xiang wrote:

> pdb-l
>
>  Hello, Everyone:
>        Here is a question about the serine in the crystal structure.
>        If there are two crystal structure from two difference labs, and
> there is only one difference between them, That is the N-terminal
> serine. The OH-group of serine in one crystal structure points to the
> binding site, while the OH-group in other structure points to opposite
> direction.  My question is how to explain this difference. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Regards,
> mao xiang
>
>     ***  Details on how to be removed from this list as well as an  ***
>     ***         archive of recent postings are available at         ***
>     ***             http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/forum.html              ***

 With difficulty - maybe the B factors for both Ser are very high?
or there is an explanation in the publications?
Maybe there are actually two coformations ( often overlooked when
interpretng structure..)

Or the authors made errors..

 The only way to be absolutely sure is to download both sets of data and
models and check the maps yorself..
Eleanor