Re: [ccp4bb]: shipping-dry-dewar-out-of-Heathrow

Yves,

	We have had similar problems going to ESRF via Eurostar/Heathrow.
(we brought up the subject on ccp4bb in November-ish) We have found that
the best policy is -

	a) let them X-ray everything - if they can do that then they're
happy
	b) if possible/practical send your dry-shipper in the hold. This
way they're even happier - we cover it in "this way up" labels and the
message seems to get through. We've got dry-shippers through that way
totally intact.

	When going via Heathrow, you need to notify not only the airline
but customs as well - we flew with air france once, and told them but not
Customs - they nearly refused to take the shipper! (DISASTER!) However, if
you contact both customs and your airline in advance you should be
alright. When you do call, make sure you ask for a "duty manager", as the
junior guys will not know what to do and either

	a) keep you on hold for 30 minutes and then tell you that It can't
be done.

	b) keep you on hold for 1 hour and then tell you it can't be
done.

	Aim for someone in authority and then you'll get it through.

	ALSO - try not to mention the phrases "Biological Sample" or
"Cryogenic". This will conjure up visions of anthrax and our customs
offical will get very excitable. Try "crystal samples" or "protein
crystals" and "very cold". Also - don't have anything that says "European
Synchrotron Radiation Facility" - the word "radiation" also makes
HM customs very nervous.

	We often have a letter from Head of Dept saying things like
"...CP100 dry shipper conforms to all applicable laws and standards for
international flights...". This is also quite nice and seems to placate
worried looking customs officials.

	Anyway - EU law does actually allow us to freely transport scientific
samples around with Europe (note - quoting EU law to customs officals is not
recommended).

	By following these simple rules, you should enjoy a lifetime of
shipping around your precious crystals, without getting HM customs over
excited. ;-)

	Hope this helps.

		Dave

				#
David Briggs			# Tel : 0207 631 6835
Bacterial Toxins Group		#
School of Crystallography	# Fax : 0207 631 6803
Birkbeck College		#
Malet St			# http://student.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~ebrig02/
London				#
WC1E 7HX			# Office : EB9/B092
  "It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds,
simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in.
However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a
finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity
is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all
the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows
that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any
people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged
imagination."
               - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)