Re: [ccp4bb]: A simple question of resolution

> Since this seems to be a ripe time for debates I figure I'll
> throw my fuel onto the fire...
>
> My question is a simple one, how do you determine what resolution
> to report your structure at?
[...]
>     ***Dissertation Defense May 7th at 2PM in UCI's Tamkin F114***

i suspect you're in a hurry, eh ? well, since i'm going to be away from now
until the 6th of may, i'll only post on the subject once

for some discussion, see section 7.1.5 of DVD, Acta Cryst 2000, pp 249-265
(http://xray.bmc.uu.se/cgi-bin/gerard/reprint_mailer.pl?pref=56)

briefly, you have a choice of reporting nominal resolution, effective
resolution a la bart hazes (can be a sobering experience), and/or the optical
resolution. nominal resolution is something you decide subjectively. effective
resolution can be calculated using dataman. optical resolution is calculated
by sfcheck

--dvd

                        Gerard J.  Kleywegt
    [Research Fellow of the Royal  Swedish Academy of Sciences]
Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology  University of Uppsala
                Biomedical Centre  Box 596
                SE-751 24 Uppsala  SWEDEN

    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/gerard/  mailto:gerard@xray.bmc.uu.se
   The opinions in this message are fictional.  Any similarity
   to actual opinions, living or dead, is purely coincidental.