[ccp4bb]: Re: Data Reduction for mosaic crystals...

I'm also interested to hear what others will say, so I post this for others
to shoot down or not as they see fit-

I can see two reasons for fine slicing, one that says fine slicing helps
with very low mosaicity crystals, and the other that says fine slicing is
needed with high mosaicity.

The first has to do with signal to noise: If a reflection is only in the
diffracting condition for 0.2 degrees and you collect 2 degree oscillations,
then 90% of the oscillation is only adding noise. Better to collect the
spot in one or two fine slices, then the integrating program can ignore
the rest of the 2 degrees (as far as that spot is concerned).

On the other hand if the mosaicity is greater than 1 degree, then the
reflection will be diffracting during most of the time, so even if you
fine slice the integrating program will have to add together all those
slices and their associated noise. Furthermore if there is a baseline
"per-image" noise such as dark current error, it will get added in
ten times instead of once.

So that argument says you only fine-slice with low mosaicity.
On the other hand if you have an overlap problem resulting from lunes
of the diffraction pattern overlapping (as opposed to spots within a
lune overlapping due to large cell parameters), then it would be
reasonable(?) to guess that mosaicity and oscillation angle are
additive in contributing to the width of the lunes. Say with your
crystal, at your resolution, overlap becomes a serious problem when
the sum of the mosaicity and oscillation angle is greater than
1.2 degrees. If the mosaicity is 0.2, then you can collect 1.0 degree
oscillations. If the mosaicity is 0.7, you should collect 0.5 degree
oscillations. You will have no fulls, but you will collect all the
partials and they can be added together. A logical extension (although
I suspect not a practical one) is that if you have 1.1 degree
mosaicity you should collect 0.1 degree oscillations.

In my experience in dealing with mosaic crystals with large cell parameters
it is possible, as a last resort, to cheat a little on mosaicity. First
integrate with a reasonable mosaicity, and postrefine to see if the value
was in fact reasonable. Completeness drops off badly with resolution due to
overlap.
   Then run denzo again using 2/3 or even 1/2 the true mosaicity,
and scalepack WITHOUT FITTING MOSAICITY (otherwise scalepack will
realize he needs a lot of partials that weren't measured). Completeness
improves greatly, and R-merge (R-sym?) goes from around 6% to around 12%,
partly because we're including more weak high-resolution data but more
seriously because we're chopping the tails and ignoring the overlapping
tails of neighbors. A 6% increase in R-merge on I corresponds maybe
to a 3% increase in R-free on F, and if R-free is on the order of 25-30%
this may not seem so bad. On the other hand the error is systematic,
won't be reflected in the sigma values you are asking the refinement
program to trust, so this option is sure to make the purists cringe.
Still it's something to do while waiting for the perfect post-crystal-growth
treatment to reduce your mosaicity to a fraction of a degree.

Ed