Re: [ccp4bb]: Mapstretch

Mark van Raaij wrote:

> Dear crystallographic colleagues,
> Is there a way to "stretch" maps equally in all three dimensions using
> ccp4, mapman or another tool? I have an averaged map from EM (brix, ccp4
> and xplor format) which is about 1.5 times too small to fit my
> crystallographic model into. I guess something went wrong in the
> calculation of the EM-magnification, but I don't know with which program
> that map was made.
> Before people attack me - I just want to make a nice picture with
> bobscript showing which part of the protein my partial model fits into.
> --
> Mark van Raaij, m.vanraaij@chem.leidenuniv.nl

 We find this is essential before using EM images for molecular
replacement - it is worth stretching or shrinking them by small
fractions ( 1% ) then seeing which image gives the best signal.

 I do it by hand - if you use maptona4 you get an ascii dump of the map,
and by altering the cell dimension by 1% you effectively shrink or
expand the image.
Then you can run maptona4 again to convert the file back to give a
modified map.

 Here is script of sorts..
       maptona4 mapin hao-thelot_mlp1.map mapout hao-thelot_mlp1.ascii

      You need to half the cell dimensions: equivalent to scaling by 2
      vi hao-thelot_mlp1.ascii

TITLE
Hand 1 mlp map
AXIS           Z       X       Y
GRID          50      52      56
XYZLIM         0      49       0      51       0      55
SPACEGROUP             1
MODE           2
CELL        20.125    21.260    23.240    91.700   113.300   107.700
RHOLIM      -1.33909         1.00938       -0.476994E-09    0.158896
INDXR4     0  22
END HEADER

SECTION       0

      maptona4 mapout hao-thelot_mlp1_by_2.map mapin
hao-thelot_mlp1.ascii