[ccp4bb]: Summary: Structure-based sequence alignment

Hi everyone,

Thankyou very much for your good suggestions. I believe your suggestions
will benefit those who are preparing a structure-based sequence alignment.
Here is a summary:

Xue-yuan Pei:
Programs Fugue, Joy and Homstrad will do the job for you.

Jens Kaiser:
a working (but tedious :-)) way is using top3d from ccp4 with the two
coordinate-files. regions corresponding to each other are printed out;
regions wich have no structural homology (in terms of 3d-coordinates) are
not printed. you can assemble the parts on top of your two
complete-sequences in gcg ( or similar program). it takes some time, but you
will have a 'real' structure based alignement.

Bart Hazes:
If you have structures of both (or more) proteins involved then just
superimpose them and align the structurally equivalent residues. Deciding
when to call two residues structurally equivalent can be a bit arbitrary. I
normally let O's lsq_refi sort out the equivalent bits. Maybe not perfect,
but no user-bias and a lot easier/faster then eyeballing the structures.
If you only have one structure and want to align other related sequences
with it you can help normal alignment programs, such as ClustalX, by
providing it with the location of secondary structure elements. You can also
align sequences to structure using threading, but the alignments are often
not very accurate. The THREADER program can align based on both
physicochemical positions and sequence homology. Maybe with proper weighting
this is useful. I would personally use standard sequence-only alignments and
then analyse the conserved features wrt the structure. Do conserved
hydrophobic positions correspond to hydrophobic core residues, does
conservation of small residues correspond to a cramped space etc. Based on
such information you can often spot errors in alignments of highly divergent
sequences where sequence alone cannot distinguish between alternate
alignment possibilities.
If they don't occupy structurally equivalent positions than you shouldn't
normally align them even if they have similar physicochemical properties. If
the sequence-suggested alignment is clearly at odds with the observed
structural alignment then I would suggest the sequence evidence has to be
pretty strong to overrule the structural information. I guess it is possible
to have an insertion in a helix leading to a shift of the subsequent
residues. I only know this happening when human beings make mutants, but
maybe you can find examples in nature. In this case you'll have to decide if
the sequence alignment is supposed to show evolutionary equivalence (the
normal assumption) or structural equivalence.

V.S.Gowri:
To my knowledge, u can use STAMP (a rigid body superposition program) by
Russell and Barton.

Alexander.Pautsch:
you would need to do superimpose the relevant structures (e.g. with lsqkab)
and then go ahead and (manually) adjust the sequence alignment so that
corresponding residues match each other. I think lsqman from the Uppsala
software factory has a command to do this http://alpha2.bmc.uu.se/usf/

Jason Maynes:
The most accurate way for a structure-based alignment is to run your two
pdb's through the DALI server - http://www2.ebi.ac.uk/dali/. There is also a
program called mammoth that works well, but is tough to get your hands on.

Gerard J.  Kleywegt:
if you have LSQMAN available, this is a breeze. see the example at
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/usf/lsqman_man.html#H6 (and get the macro from
ftp://xray.bmc.uu.se/pub/gerard/omac/align.lsqmac). this will give you the
structure-based sequence alignment of the structurally conserved parts.
parts of both sequences that are not conserved in the structure will not be
aligned by sequence either

Petrus Hendrik Zwart:
Stralign might be an option :
http://www.hgc.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/service/tooldoc/stralign/intro.html ( you
might want to take  a look at this as well:
http://www.prosci.uci.edu/Articles/Vol9/issue11/0235/0235.html )

Frank Vondelft:
http://www-cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~joy Or more automatic:
http://www-cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~jiye/evoltrace/evoltrace.html which will,
amongst others, produce the JOY alignment you're after.  And a very handy
evolutionary tree, so you can include non-structure sequences, which are
often handy to have aligned.

Good lucks for all who responded !!

cheers.

Zhangfan