From: Bernhard Rupp [mailto:br@llnl.gov]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 1:39 PM
To: ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk
Subject: [ccp4bb]: scripting

Dear All:

This is a call for advice to the scripting pros:

I have come to the limit of what at least I personally can do
with csh scripts (although admittedly Jim Holton's Elves attest
to their power - given a competent scripter).

Is there a preference for lets say Python or something in the
crystallographic programmer's community? Can I also use python
instead of my perl or java or vbs scripts, for example?
Is there something like a csh2python etc converter to speed
the process up? How steep is the learning/transition curve?
Good book?

I am sure someone went through the same pains already -
any advice would be appreciated.

br

------------------------------------
Bernhard Rupp
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics
2128 Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2128
cell 925 209 7429
lab  979 862 7639
sec  979 862 7636

the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.