Re: [ccp4bb]: R-sym I/sigI etc...

Yes the best stratety is to include all information however with final shell
statistics of R-sym 60.7 and I/sigI 0.9 it is reasonable for a reviewer to
question if there really is "information" in the final shell. If this is a
structure determination paper you can use the agreement between Fcalc and Fobs
at high resolution as an argument to include this very weak data. For a
crystallisation paper you don't have this luxury and may be better of to quote
that diffraction with average I/SigI better than 2 was observed to ???
Angstrom resolution even though you should use higher resolution data for
refinement. You really just want to indicate the quality of the diffraction
data.

What you should do with the paper is up to you to decide.

Bart

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 rams@poori.biochem.uiowa.edu wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I thought this was a settled issue.  That R-syms and mean I/sigI's are a
> non -ussue and that the best stratety is to include all information.
>
> I sent a crystallization manuscript with
> R-sym in final shell 60.7 Redundancy 8.1 I/sigI 0.9 9all in the final
> shell).
>
> Acta D refused to publish it (a crystallization manuscript) unless I cut
> my resolution or my redundancy  to get better R-sym at the outermost shell
> or cut I/sig I at 1.5..
>
> The catch is as you collect data to this redundancy the data does get
> weaker and I/sigI gets poorer. I personally think this fine as we have
> solved the structure refined etc.. etc.. and everything looks fine.
>
> So, do I give up to referees request and publish with lower resolution
> cutoff / lower redundancy cutoff etc.. of do I fight or do I just not
> publish the crystallization paper (which is what I am now inclined to
> do)..
>
> I thought I would poll the web before I decide....
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rams.
>

> --
> S. Ramaswamy
> Department of Biochemistry.
> University of Iowa.

Assistant Professor
Dept. of Medical Microbiology & Immunology
University of Alberta
1-15 Medical Sciences Building
Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H7, Canada
phone:	1-780-492-0042