Re: [ccp4bb]: Flat Panel Monitors

Hurley, Thomas D. wrote:

 > Following up on the recent PC hardware discussions...  Has anyone
 > evaluated the newer flat panel displays for graphic image
 > presentations (eg. Xfit or O), and found favorites or real dogs?

Not personaly, but there are some very good tests in some
computer-magazines.

 From what I recall, most known brands (IBM, Sony, Mitsubishi, NEC, Idek
Iiyama, Eizo, Quatographic) deliver very good 17 - 23 inch displays.

Bottomline: Essentially you could use a LCD-screen to run O or xfit, but
you will have no hardware-stereo (there are hardware-3D-sollutions for
flatpanels, but I think they are extremely expensive and most of them
are still experimental) and they are much more expensive than CRTs of
comparable size & quality, even without stereo-option.

--
Bye,  Marc Saric

Max-Planck-Institut fuer molekulare Physiologie
Otto-Hahn-Str.11  44227 Dortmund  phone:0231/133-2168