Re: [ccp4bb]: Disulfide bridge

You could have a metal bound into the disulphide - this has been done
intentionally in the past by reacting disuphide-bonded protein with Hg1+
which opens the disulphide, gets oxidised to Hg2+ and remains bound
between the two sulphurs. More prosaically it could be a iron, zinc or
even nickel from a metal chelate column. If you put ? into the structure
what would the S-?-S angle be ?

Laurence Pearl

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 03:08 , <deh22@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Has anyone ever seen a disulfide bridge that looks something like this:
>
> Cys-S-?-S-Cys
>
> If I force the disulfide bridge, the geometry does not fit the density
> at all.  If I let the sulfurs fit into the density correctly, the
> geometry does not work for a disulfide, although there is very clear
> density between the sulfurs.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Hurt

   Laurence H. Pearl

   Section of Structural Biology, Institute of Cancer Research
   Chester Beatty Laboratories,  237 Fulham Road
   London SW3 6JB, UK

   Phone +44-207-970 6045 : Secretary +44-207-970 6046
   FAX   +44-207-970 6051 : E-Mail l.pearl@icr.ac.uk
   " Live Simply and do Serious Things .. " - Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin