[ccp4bb]: PDB2CIF (summary)

Here is my "success-story" on the conversion of CIF-files to PDB files.
According to your suggestions I tried the following:

I downloaded PLATON
 - conversion of the first CIF-file caused the program to crash
 - conversion of the second CIF-file produced a useful PDB file!!
 => success rate 50%

I tried to use "libcheck"
 - there is a typo in the manual _FILE_OUT and _FILE_O are mixed up
 - the warning message was:
   WARNING : residue: C00         1  chain:AA   - not found in the library
   WARNING: can't find atomic scatt.factors for :
            default symbol is "N   "
 - no PDB file was produced
 => success rate 0%

Pete Duntan suggested "Rasmol will read the small molecule cif file and
output a pdb file."
 - Rasmol was able to read one of my three CIF-files
 - It did output a PDB-file but the coordinates were completely screwed up
 => success rate ~10%

BABEL cannot read CIF-format (at least not the version we have installed)

As I reported before:
- CIFTr (from http://pdb.rutgers.edu/mmcif/). Gives a run time error.
- CIF2PDB (from http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/cif2pdb/DISCUSS.cif2pdb.html)
  doesn't compile properly - at least in my hands.

I hardly can believe. Is CIF-format even worse than any language
produced in Babel
that noone can understand. Any hints and suggestions are still appreciated!

Pete

PD Dr. Peter Burkhard
M.E. Müller Institut (MSB)
Klingelbergstr. 70