Re: [ccp4bb]: joystick or dial for linux?

Dear Richard,

> I know that there is no native support for dial boxes under linux

I'm using SGI dialbox (Part# DLS80-1022) with XFree86 4.0.x under linux,
with modified version of the Joe Krahn's dialbox driver.
You can get the modified version from
  http://www.biochem.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~ishitani/dialbox/dialbox-new.tar.gz
and the original version from
  http://www.geocities.com/joekrahn/

This modified version contains following changes from the original version.
* Our SGI dialbox seems not to support absolute mode,
  so I changed the driver to operate in relative mode, in default setting.
* If dialbox is not connected, initialization aborts with ignoreing errors.

You need to add the following line in the "ServerLayout" section of XF86Config.

       InputDevice    "Dialbox0"  # <-- Dialbox entry

and add the new "InputDevice" section as follows:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Dialbox0"
        Driver      "dialbox"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"  # <-- serial port A
        Option      "EnableButtons" "on"
EndSection

---
Ryuichiro Ishitani (ishitani@biochem.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp)