Re: [ccp4bb]: How to deal with sidechainatoms with low electron density?

Dear all,

It seems that every procedure used (lowering occupancies,
letting B-factor go up, cutting pieces from the residues...) each
have their advantages and disadvantages.

The biggest problem is  the fact that everybody comes up with
their own way of dealing with the problem, which may confuse
people looking at PDB files.  Therefore, it would be much better
if the PDB database would impose a number of rules about
how to deal with residues with poor or missing densities, and
not to give freedom to the crystallographer depositing the
structure.  This is probably the only way of getting a
standardized structure depostion rather than a mixture of clever
ideas.

Filip

----
Filip Van Petegem
University of California, San Francisco
513, Parnassus Avenue
phone: 1-415-514-2836
fax: 1-415-514-2550
-----

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:58:04 -0700 (MST) Bart Hazes wrote:

> ***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  **
*

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Florian Schmitzberger wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I was wondering what the most acceptable way to deal with
(disordered)
> > sidechains/residues (e.g. sidechains of Arginines and
Lysines) with very
> > low or no electron density is? Especially with respect to
submission of
> > coordinates to the pdb-data bank.
> >
> > My initial approach was to set the occupancies of the atoms
to 0
> and then
> > refine in Refmac. However I encountered that the geometry
(bond lenghts
> > and angles) gets distorted between the atoms with normal
occupancy
> and the
> > ones with zero occupancy. The other option to refine the
residues as
> > alanines does not seem a very good idea to me, since it
does not account
> > for something which is there, but strongly disordered. For
me the most
> > ideal way to deal with them is to fix the B-factor to a very high
value
> > and then refine with Refmac.
> >
> > What is the general opinion about this matter?
>
> We have already heard a few "general opinions" which
means that there
> is not a
> clearly accepted code of best practise for this situation. I don't
> like either
> the 0.01 or 0.00 occupancy or high B-value solutions. In both
cases
> the naive
> end user sees a sidechain in the model and will firmly believe
that those
> atoms are exactly there and nowhere else. Of course it takes
only a quick
> check of B-factor or occupancy to find out but I wonder how
often that is
> done. I often don't even do that myself unless I have reason to
be
> suspicious
> of a part of the structure.
>
> The practise in my lab is to build what you see and to explicitly
> remove the
> atoms you don't see. So a lysine may have its beta and
gamma atoms
> modeled but
> not the rest or a glutamate may lack its carboxylate. The
residue
> name will of
> course still be the real amino acid at that place. Some
programs may
> complain
> about incomplete residues but we don't have a problem with
it. The
> best thing
> is, I hope, that a user will actually notice that there are atoms
> missing and
> therefore is alerted to the fact that these atoms are disordered
> (although we
> may have educate people that missing carboxylates can be
due to radiation
> damage as well).
>
> A different approach is to consider a structure as a model that
> accommodates
> both experimental data and basic protein geometry rules.
When there
> is strong
> experimental evidence you build whatever the data supports
even if that
> involves an unusual dihedral angle or so. When there is no
data you build
> whatever molecular geometry dictate. In disordered regions
where
> experimental
> data is weak one could thus build all common rotamers of a
sidechain,
> removing
> those that are clearly stericaly impossible and set all
occupancies
> to zero.
> That should also really stand out to the user and, like the
NMR
> world, we can
> claim to "see" dynamics for those regions where we really
see
> nothing. It may
> even be possible to refine occupancies for the various
rotamers if we