Re: [ccp4bb]: automated backup

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Kevin Battaile wrote:

> carousel or a large disk array. What sort of solutions do people on the
> list have for this?

Software:

RSYNC
MIRROR
SFTP

all seem to work OK at various levels of automation.  I mirror my data
collection disks onto a faster Linux server using RSYNC.

I am on the verge of buying a Mac G4 with a total of 4 IDE drives in it
(3x 120Gb, 1x 80 Gb) as my first approximation to a backup server
(although it will also serve as an OS X software server).  I think I will
be using RSYNC to mirror the disks across the network.  I also internally
backup selected user spaces on my dual-chip dual-disk P4 Linux boxes
using RSYNC.

Everything is done via crontab since I prefer not to rely on my memory.
However I also do have external 8mm backups of all my system disks, just
in case.

Phil
| Phil Jeffrey                                  |                             |
| Crystallography Facility Manager              | If you lie to the compiler, |
| Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NYC   | it will get its revenge     |
| phil@xray2.mskcc.org                          |     - Henry Spencer         |
| Voice: (212) 639 8547   Fax: (212) 717 3135   |                             |