Re: [ccp4bb]: Enforcing a sigma(f) cutoff?

Dear Mark,

it is indeed a VERY bad idea to enforce ay kind of sigma cutoff.
The maximum likelihood approach does the proper weighting and
anything additional rejections or weighting are not just
unnecessary, they will make your structure worse (albeit a
possible lower Rfree).

Cheers, Manfred.

P.S. There is a classic paper by Hirshfeld and Rabinovich about
  this. It was published in the early 80s (or 70s) in Acta A.
  I don't recall the exact reference, but I can dig it out for
  you if you are interested.

*                    Dr. Manfred S. Weiss                          *
*                         Team Leader                              *
* EMBL Hamburg Outstation                    Fon: +49-40-89902-170 *
* c/o DESY, Notkestr. 85                     Fax: +49-40-89902-149 *
* D-22603 Hamburg                   Email: msweiss@embl-hamburg.de *
* GERMANY                       Web: www.embl-hamburg.de/~msweiss/ *