RE: [ccp4bb]: Refining Ions - Mn+2 Vs Mg+2...

Raji,
there is a good possibility that your Mn2+ does not have full occupancy.
Hence the better behavior in R-free with lighter atoms (eg. Mg).  How are
the B-factors behaving with Mn2+ in the model?  I would guess unreasonably
high.  I suggest the following crystallographic experiment to estimate the
occupancy of your putative metal.  This can be done only if you have good
data, resolution better than 3 angs, and well ordered residues coordinating
to the Mn2+.

(1) refine your structure to convergence with a Mg2+ that you know behaves
well.

(2) calculate an average B-factor for the metal-coordinating residues

(3) substitute your metal with Mn2+, and reset the B factor of the metal to
20 angs-sq.

(3) try a series of short refinement runs (15 cycles of minimization +20
cycles of individual B-factor refinement) using different occupancies for
the Mn2+. Something like 0.25 0.50 0.75 1.00.  Then check to see what
B-factors this analysis gives you for the metal.  The occupancy that yields
a B-factor that is close to the average for the coordinating residues is a
good estimate of the true occupancy.

All the best
Savvas

Savvas N. Savvides
Department of Ultrastructure - VIB
Free University of Brussels
Pleinlaan 2
Building E, room 4.4
1050 Brussels
Belgium
Tel. +32-2-629.18.49  Fax. +32-2-629.19.63
Email.  savvas.savvides@vub.ac.be