Re: [ccp4bb]: Comments on G4 Ti

Dear all,

> be very relevant as a 'crystallographic bencmark'.

For another collection of benchmarks you can have a look at

  http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/benchmarks/

which contains benchmarks on SGI, HP/Compaq and Linux (various AMD and
Intel chips). Please note that:

  - it only runs a single binary (SHARP) with heavy floating point
    computation and not a lot I/O

  - this is for different SHARP versions (1.4.0 and 2.0.0). So
    although there are more benchmark results for 1.4.0 the newest
    version of SHARP is intrinsically faster and improved.

  - SHARP 1.4.0 on Linux used GNU/g77 whereas SHARP 2.0.0 uses Intel
    (6.0) compiler

But Tassos is right - even older Alphas are still quite
impressive. Unfortunately we don't have some of the P4 Xeons - but
maybe someone else wants to run these SHARP benchmarks and add the
results to our WWW page?

Cheers

Clemens

> the work of Clemens (try out his ccp4_cv.sh script and his patches!!!)

That's at http://www.globalphasing.com/people/vonrhein/ccp4/ and
updated regularly - so you can just re-run the latest ccp4_cv.sh
script from time to time (currently at ccp4-4.2.2-cv5).

*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.
*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889