Re: [ccp4bb]: Comments on G4 Ti

Dear all -

Happy new year to everybody to start with - it's always a good start
with yet another successful CCP4 meeting... ;-)

Taking the opportunity from the OSX question, here is some oil for the
more general fire of
'which computer to choose'. Over the holiday season I benchmarked our
collection of
different computers. I used - what else - ARP/wARP. ARP/wARP is a good
real-life benchmark:
It runs lots of floating point intensive Refmac, has lots of I/O for
the maps and runs the integer/float
intensive autobuilding routines which also eat up lots of memory. So, i
consider it to
be very relevant as a 'crystallographic bencmark'.

I hope that these get handy to some people and sorry that they are not
really relevant to the
'which notebook' question since in choosing an notebook I personally
feel there are
other parameters than crystallographic performance that play a major
role ...(for me) !

In the list below '1' indicates the fastest and i.e. '2' indicates that
a machine is twice as slow.
I also give an indication of how 'old' the machine is to make the
comparison a bit more fare.
I don't include a price indication since it's not fare, different
graphics boards, maintenance
contracts, etc, etc, but, ask your local dealer ;-))

P4 2.8 GHz Xeon, Intel Compilers:		1.00 (1 month)
P4 2.8 GHz Xeon, CCP4 distribution 	1.43	(1 month)
ES 40 0.67 GHz EV667, -O1 optimised	1.69 (55 months)
P4 1.9 GHz, CCP4 distribution			2.73 (6 months)
PIII 1.8 GHz, CCP4 distribution			3.19 (12 months)
ES40 0.67 GHz EV667, CCP4 distr.		3.51 (55 months)
OSX PPC 1GHz, CCP4 distr.			5.11 (3 months)
SGI R10k 0.2 GHz					7.39 (60 months)

So, besides the obvious merits of OSX machines (which led me to have an
iMAC
both at home and at work in my desk) any Pentium 4 is biting the hell
out of it (for computation)
at the same or slightly lesser cost.

I am also VERY impressed by the fact the the 3-year old Compaq
is still *almost* as fast as the newest P4, for what we do ! Plus you
dont have to mess with
Intel compilers which are a serious headache alleviated only for CCP4
due to
the work of Clemens (try out his ccp4_cv.sh script and his patches!!!)
..... plus the fact that besides the very heavy load we put on it it has
never 'crashed',
which is not what I would say for Linux - although redHat 8.0 has
proved so far very stable)

	Tassos