Re: [ccp4bb]: Questions about translational NCS

On Thursday 20 February 2003 02:16, Jianghai Zhu wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I have several questions about translational NCS.
>
> 1) If I have a pure translational NCS, I can find a peak in my
> native patterson map. But if I have a NCS happen to be parallel
> to my crystallographic symmetry, they generate some
> translational vectors and I can find a peak in my native
> patterson map too. How do I know it is a pure translational NCS
> or a NCS parallel to the crystallographic symmetry?

If an NCS n-fold rotational axis is exactly parallel to a crystallographic
axis that shares the factor n (e.g. 2-fold parallel to 2, 4 or 6-fold; 3-fold
parallel to 3-fold or 6-fold), the combination of NCS and crystallographic
symmetry will generate a pure translational NCS.  If the axes are both pure
rotational axes, the translation will be in the plane perpendicular to the
axes.  Any screw components will give an out-of-plane contribution to the
translation vector.  What you choose to call it is partly a question of
semantics.  If I had a big Patterson peak at u,v,1/2 in P2(1)2(1)2(1), I
would interpret that as a dimer with a pure 2-fold parallel to the z axis,
centered on a position shifted by u/2,v/2 relative to one of the screw axes
parallel to z, but would point out that this generates translational NCS.  On
the other hand, if the Patterson peak was at u,v,w where none of u, v or w
was equal to 1/2, I would interpret that as translational NCS.  If I wanted
to, I could interpret this instead as showing a dimer with a local screw axis
parallel to either x, y, or z.  But an assembly with point group symmetry
makes more sense as an object possessing non-crystallographic symmetry.

> 2) I was told that the translational NCS could make the data
> look like a data from a twinning crystal. Is that true? If it
> is, could somebody explain it to me or point out some
> reference? Will the pure translational NCS and NCS parallel to
> crystallographic symmetry give the similar intensity
> distribution?

Actually, translational NCS modulates the diffraction pattern to make some
reflections systematically more intense (where the translationally-related
molecules scatter in phase) and some less intense (out of phase), so the
distribution of intensities is broader.  Twinning has the opposite effect,
narrowing the distribution of intensities.  So, if anything, the presence of
translational NCS can mask twinning in the common twinning tests.

This situation, where an NCS axis is nearly parallel to a crystallographic
axis, is actually quite common.  There's a paper by Wang & Janin (Acta Cryst.
D49:505-512, 1993) showing that this happens frequently in structures
deposited at that point in the PDB.  It may even be more common than their
data suggest, because there was a time when people threw away crystals with
NCS to reduce the size of the data collection and computing problems.

--

Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge