Re: [ccp4bb]: Questions about translational NCS

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses.

Based on Rizkallah's example, there is pure translational NCS
without any rotational NCS associated with it. But in his case,
since the translational vector has such a special direction and
length, he can shrink the unit cell to half volume and make the
translational symmetry as a crystallgraphic symmetry. But if
the translational vector doesn't have a special direction and
length, he probably can not just shrink the unit cell and get
rid of the translational NCS (e.g 2 molecules related by a
general translation vector in a triclinic unit cell). Am I
right?

Based on the paper Randy read pointed out (Wang & Janin,Acta
Cryst. D49:505-512, 1993), most of the NCSs are either
parrallel to one of the crystallographic axis or orthogonal to
it. Here comes another question. If a 2-fold NCS is orthogonal
to the crystallographic rotation axis, it is possible that you
will get a higher apparent symmetry in you diffration pattern
(e.g. if I have a 2-fold NCS along a* and b* in a P3 space
group, I could get a 622 symmetry). This is quite like a
perfect twinning crystal data. But will the intensity
distribution also behave like a twinned data? Why?

Thanks.

Jianghai

--
Jianghai Zhu