Re: [ccp4bb]: summary of sulphate binding at ATP binding sites

And to just add to the flame,

we greeks have our own word for sulphur which is thio (no fs or phs at all...)
and thus sulfate or suphate is just thiika and we avoid any confusion.

Demetres

Manfred Buehner wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
>
> > ***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
> > ***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***

> > > Just to be anal: sulfur is Latin which has never had a 'ph'. That's
> > > Greek,
>
> that's not true. The Greek had and have their own letter 'phi'.
> Our "ph" is just a transliteration. I don't know who invented it,
> it must have been somebody who tried to have Greek look more
> pompous than Latin. (Or a Roman who wanted to single out the
> unloved Greek.) The simple "f" would have done perfectly as e.g.
> the Swedes and the Italians demonstrate. But nw it's too late,
> "ph" is firmly established (at least for the time being).
>
> > > Greek, which will be verified by Tassos. The Romans didn't like the
> > > Greek and would be very upset. There was an article in Nature a long
> > > time ago advocating to get rid of the Brittttish spelling of sulphur
> > > (must have been by an Oxford linguist). So, it's not about British or
> > > American spelling at all, solely about Latin vs. Greek spelling.
> >
> > So - you would also prefer 'Fosforus' for element 15?
>
> no, because "phos" is Greek and "phorein" is Greek, and
> so we just have to live with good old phosphorus. (Also,
> we can thus avoid changing the element symbol to FO and
> confusion with fluorine in shifted pdb file columns.)
>
> Manfred
>  Dr. Manfred Buehner             Phone:  +49-931-888-4100
>  Physiologische Chemie           FAX:    +49-931-888-4150
>  Theodor-Boveri-Institut fuer Biowissenschaften
>  Biozentrum der Universitaet Wuerzburg
>  Am Hubland,  D-97074 WUERZBURG,  Germany
>  Email:  buehner@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de

Demetres D. Leonidas, Ph.D.
National Hellenic Research Foundation
Institute of Biological Research & Biotechnology
48, Vassileos Constantinou Avenue
Athens 116 35, Greece
Tel. +30-2107273763
Fax. +30-2107273758