Etymology: Middle English sulphur brimstone, from Latin sulpur, sulphur, sulfur
Date: 14th century
1 : a nonmetallic element that occurs either free or combined especially in
sulfides and sulfates , is a constituent of proteins, exists in several
allotropic forms including yellow orthorhombic crystals, resembles oxygen
chemically but is less active and more acidic, and is used especially in the
chemical and paper industries, in rubber vulcanization, and in medicine for
treating skin diseases -- see ELEMENT table
2 : something (as scathing language) that suggests sulfur
- sul·fury or sul·phury  /-E/ adjective
usage The spelling sulfur predominates in U.S. technical usage, while both
sulfur and sulphur are common in general usage. British usage tends to favor
sulphur for all applications. The same pattern is seen in most of the words
derived from sulfur.

This mail is sent using the FWNCIM Webmail server