[ccp4bb]: Conclusion of bulk solvent corrected fo-fc map

Hi everyone,

I've done some more work with the fo-fc maps from refmac and xfit.  One
definite conclusion (thanks to Ian Tickle) is that the default B-factor
restraints in refmac are definitely too tight (and incorrect in the
HTML documentation).  Loosening them up not only improved the map
quality but also dropped down the R and R free by 0.5%.  I've tried a
newer version of refmac (v. 5.1.29) but the .24 and .29 maps are
virtually identical.

As several people have suggested, the refmac fo-fc map contains more
information than the xfit fo-fc map, and is therefore 'noiser', which
originally lead me to conclude that the refmac fo-fc map was worse.  A
large contribution to the noise in the refmac fo-fc map are peaks
floating in space, away from any atoms, including a large number off in
the solvent.  This noisiness of the refmac fo-fc map, although perhaps
not a problem for humans, has been a major problem for the automated
structure determination software we're developing.  Our program would
much prefer the starker contrasts of the xfit maps than the more
informative but also more complex refmac maps.  Perhaps a simple
masking or smoothing procedure could clear up the refmac maps.

Thanks for all of the help,

Mark

Mark DePristo
Ph.D. Candidate