Re: [ccp4bb]: Digital microscope camera

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Tjaard Pijning wrote:

> We are investigating the possibilities to buy a digital
> camera for taking crystal pictures through a microscope.
> So far we have found that such cameras will cost
> 2500 euro's or more because of the need to either
> remove the lens or use a special adaptor to attach it
> to the microscope.

don't let yourself get led astray by the ballyhoo of the
expensive optics companies' marketing experts. They try
to sell you 100 % optical quality with the absolute minimum
of accumulated optical aberrations when you can get 95 %
quality for a fifth of the money.

When you look into the ocular of a microscope, your eye is
just like a camera lens focussed on infinity. In principle,
you can take photographs by just holding any infinity-
focussed camera over the microscope's eyepiece (if your
hand is steady enough for the exposure time needed).

> We wonder if anyone has come up with a simpler/cheaper
> possibility for this, since digital cameras, even the
> 2-3 MP models are not that expensive anymore.

we bought a Nikon coolpix 995 (3.34 MPx) some time ago,
because it has a thread at the front of the lens (in
contrast to nearly all others), like conventional cameras'
colour/UV filter thread up front. Our workshop made a little
ocular adapter with a corresponding male thread so we can
simply screw the camera on the eyepiece. Focussing is very
easy due to the digital display. The whole setup cost us
about 500 EUR.

I don't think the model coolpix 995 is offered any more,
but if you look out for any digital camera with a front
thread, it will be easy. Since no mechanical connection
is needed between eyepiece and camera, in principle any
model should do with any tripod or improvised stand.

Manfred
 Dr. Manfred Buehner             Phone:  +49-931-888-4100
 Physiologische Chemie           FAX:    +49-931-888-4150
 Theodor-Boveri-Institut fuer Biowissenschaften
 Biozentrum der Universitaet Wuerzburg
 Am Hubland,  D-97074 WUERZBURG,  Germany
 Email:  buehner@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de