Re: [ccp4bb]: Protein-DNA complex

Dear Philippe,

     The problem you mention might be caused by the fact that the DNA in
your signature is left-handed.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.

--
Original message from Philippe BENAS:

> Hi Folks,
>
> There is a problem trying to evaluate the presence of nucleic acids by
> gel experiments.
> If for some reasons the crystals are not well washed enough, you could
> see a band corresponding to your DNA, but bound to the surface of the
> crystals (I have a very good example of that on HIV-1 RT/RNA
> complexes...).
> So, to solve this problem you will have to quantify your bands and the
> volume your crystals (same problem with an end labelling of your NA). At
> this point, it seems easier to me to take a UV absorbance spectrum and
> use the absorbance profile of the protein alone and the DNA alone to
> deconvolute your experimental profile. I also have a very good example
> of that on the same subject. In addition, you also get the stoechiometry
> of the complex and a crude estimate of the number of molecules per au.
> The only caveats are to have i) crystals of rather simple shape and ii)
> a camera that is resolutive enough to get a precise estimate of the
> volume (and have a 5 uL UV cuvette).
>
> Philippe
> --
> Philippe BENAS
>
> -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .
> ||/|||\ /|||/|||\ /|||/|||\ /|
> |/ \|||/|||/ \|||/|||/ \|||/||
> '   `-' `-'   `-' `-'   `-' `-
> Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
> Biological X-ray Crystallography
> 108, Gaines Hall - Montana State University
> Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
>
> Email: benas@chemistry.montana.edu
> Phone: +1 406-994-3654                       Fax: +1 406-994-5407

     * Gerard Bricogne                     gb10@GlobalPhasing.com  *
     * Global Phasing Ltd.                                         *
     * Sheraton House, Castle Park         Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033 *
     * Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK               Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889 *