[ccp4bb]: network printer configuration, printcap file etc

Dear CCP4ers,

Sorry about the non-CCP4 related post (the French newsgroup re Linux
seems to have disappeared from the list).

Over here the network/computer/unix team has been dismembered
(vanished into thin air... whatever).

The result is that for all new equipment, installation, configuration
etc is strictly a complete "DIY" job.

The problem is for a new Linux box in the lab, works fine but the
printer is not configured properly: the printer is remote (on the
network), and is managed by a machine called "lmeso2-1.ibs.fr"
with a queue called "fleuve".

I took a printcap file from another Linux box, which uses the same
network printer, and placed it on the new box:

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 600x600 a4 {} PostScript Default {}
lp:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :rm=lmeso2-1.ibs.fr:\
    :rp=fleuve:\
    :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Did not work; I tried to twiddle, modify the file:

##PRINTTOOL3##  LPD POSTSCRIPT 600x600 a4 {} PostScript Default {}
lp:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :rm=lmeso2-1.ibs.fr:\
    :rp=fleuve:\
    :lp=/dev/null:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct\
    :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Still does not work. The error message I get is very cryptic:

lp: error - no default destination available.

I must say that when I try to use the printer configuration tools
(never having done this before) I am being asked several questions,
and have no idea what to reply (with a DIY job and no information at
hand, I can only guess!).
The result of my guessing was also failure, no single page coming
out of the printer).
Hence my decision to simply replace the empty printcap file by that
located on a functional Linux box.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Fred.

--

s-mail: F.M.D. Vellieux (B.Sc., Ph.D.)
        Institut de Biologie Structurale J.-P. Ebel CEA CNRS UJF
        41 rue Jules Horowitz
        38027 Grenoble Cedex 01
        France
Tel:    (+33) (0) 438789605
Fax:    (+33) (0) 438785494
e-mail: vellieux@ibs.fr
 Don't even think of asking me: "I would              Het leven is genieten
  if I could, but I can't" (L.R., 1998)               (to live is to enjoy)
BEGIN_ELECTRONIC_SIGNATURE
M/R-:@ZF:!H)4!":,+WW$O;CZMD.9)UDE'9=GB8HB/]>X><9JL0+B,:..\_@J
MP/H/0?*ZM_GS&C'30I,>S1G3UI>T-H;`!!>N'*JT1?[?;#OW[]UR'@YY2X`Z
MN)5"J6`$X-<O3Q/),4@]C=2$")KC"37!"Z1L]XW(-8E&KIE9/0[=K]@C3[-#