[ccp4bb]: Re: [SUMMARY]: Problems with PDB entry 1muo

Dear colleague,

If I properly understood your message, you propose to keep the statu quo
to  avoid  a  worse  situation,  with  more data  kept  secret  or  even
unpublished, due to  a fear of loosing whatever  "advantage" the authors
may wish to hold.

I'm afraid I'm also missing the point of your argument. Perhaps you mean
that a  stronger policy about  the release of  the data may  induce some
people  to "delay" a  publication, and  hence the  data, until  they can
publish  in  a "competitive  journal"  or  win  a "patent".  The  second
possibility would  be a  way of transforming  their advantage  in money,
which has nothing to do with science. The first is far more interesting:
if you  were right, I  think that  it would result  in a good  thing for
science, since it would increase the average quality of the papers.

I accept  that changes not addressing  the roots of the  problem have to
assume a  compromise. But  I can't  agree with you  in that  the current
situation is  an acceptable compromise:   if we do nothing,  then people
keeping their  results secret  (at least the  most relevant ones)  has a
clear  advantage over  researchers  who make  their  results, and  data,
publicly available.  The latter  will count on  the results and  data of
people like them, the former  will be able to integrate this information
with their own, secret results.

On the  other hand,  I think that  some people actually  exaggerates the
risk  of loosing  the advantage  after  the publication  and release  of
data: usually, at the time you  get your paper accepted your own results
have evolved,  and you have had  the time to plan  further research. The
others  will  be  in  such   position  only  after  knowing  about  your
publication and your data. One  exception, and not a negligeable one, is
that  of people  working  in  countries were  the  resources devoted  to
science are  not comparable to the  "big ones". But still,  I think also
people in this situation, which I know pretty well, would benefit from a
fairer system.

Also, if I interpret correctly, you say that "publication influences the
current  research immediately"  even  if  the actual  data  is not  made
public.   I'm sorry, but  to my  understanding science  implies critical
assesment  of our  own as  well as  others' results.   And, how  can you
critically read  a paper without  the relevant data?  I'm  talking about
all the relevant  data:  you're right, something should  be done for all
kind of data (even if I  think materials should also be shared, at least
to a point, they  are a different thing: if you are  given all the data,
you can always  reconstruct a plasmid, for instance).  But let's go step
by step (this is a compromise).

Best wishes,

Miguel

Chris Prodromou <Chris.Prodromou@icr.ac.uk>, 25/04/2003: