Re: [ccp4bb]: Geometry problems in Refmac

Ben Sandler wrote:

> It appears now that my ligand geometry problems arise from two sources:
>
> * I'm refining a low (3.1A) resolution structure, and I didn't have the
> matrix weight low enough.  Now that I've set it to 0.1, things are
> looking much better.  Is this roughly the weight I should be expecting
> to use for 3.1A?

  You really have to check the RMSD for bonds etc - this should stay
about the SD - viz 0.02

> * Even with the weight set to 0.1, I'm still having problems with a
> hydroxyl group in the ligand.  The hydroxyl is sandwiched between two
> iodines, and there's no electron density for it.  (I'm assuming that
> this is the result of series termination errors stemming from the two
> iodines having such dense electron density.)  As a result, the hydroxyl
> is strongly pulled into the electron density of one of the iodines,
> causing a consistent bend of about 10 degrees.  Is there any good way to
> prevent this from happening?  The most obvious seems to be to set the
> occupancy of the hydroxyl very low until the very last cycle of
> refinement, but that doesn't feel entirely kosher to me.

Hmmm - you may need a LINK record to describe the hydroxal - IODINE bonding.
If you dont describe it - there  will be VDW repulsions invoked
automatically. Check the output to see what the program thinks of your
geometry - turn on MONITOR MANY and look for all mentions of the ligand..

Eleanor