Re: [ccp4bb]: Problem to find a suitable solution by MR method

Dear Yunqing,

I would like to mention that you also need to check what fraction of your protein the
search model corresponds to. To have 50% overall identity is different from having 50%
identity in let say only 30% of your protein. If your protein has a very elongated shape
you may have an addition problem also. In addition, restrict your resolution, it is worth
to try 10-4 A only (if this was not the case).

After this, you could try to remove the most flexible parts from the search model (e.g.
sorting the model.pdb by B-factors: sort -k11 model.pdb). If you want a poly-ala model,
you can use pdbset to get it (EXCLUDE SIDE keyword).

If you have some weak anomalous signal, it could be useful for phasing, to get phase
estimates which could help in the translation function.

Another idea is to try other programs, e. g.,
- Molrep and Beast from ccp4 (you can run them using ccp4i, like Amore)
- EPMR - http://www.msg.ucsf.edu/local/programs/epmr/epmr.html

Hope it helps you.

Ricardo
IFSC-USP/Brazil

1) you need to check what is the fraction that the search model