Re: [ccp4bb]: REFMAC5 under CCP4 4.1

Kevin Cowtan wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Garib Murshudov wrote:
> > It is linux 7.0 problem. To be precise it is optimisation of g77 compilers
>         ---------
> Garib of course means that it is a RedHat 7 problem.
>
> I'm currently trying to get hold of the 2.95-2 compiler (used by
> Mandrake and SuSe 7.x) to see if I can build a working ditribution with
> that. If so, I'll provide a binary package for RedHat 7.
>
> Unfortunately its not going very well: the stupid RedHat compilers won't
> even build gcc.

For what it's worth -

I've been using gcc-2.95.1-3 and gcc-g77-2.95.1-3 with no problems for
more than a year (for kernel compilation, CNS, CCP4, ...). It's
available from ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/disk1/redhat-contrib/libc6/i386/ ,
and runs nicely on Redhat 6.x and 7.0. The code it produces is markedly
faster than any gcc/g77 version currently available from Redhat (2.96,
too!). Why Redhat keeps experimenting with compilers is unclear to me.

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs         http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay
email: Kay.Diederichs@uni-konstanz.de  Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183