[ccp4bb]: CCP4 installation on Irix notes

Dear all,

I would like to make two points about CCP4 installation on Irix.

1) the -n32 ABI has a number of advantages compared to the (old and CCP4
default) -o32 (or -32, which is the same) ABI. Among these advantages
are: the "new" ABI - it is at least 5 or so years old - is better
supported by SGI; resulting binaries run faster, and most newer compiler
features (e.g. OpenMP) and system libraries support it.
For those of you who want to test/use CCP4 in -n32 I post my recipe for
a -n32 installation here (it goes back to an old posting of Clemens
Vonrhein):
-- after sourcing include/ccp4.setup ----
setenv XCFLAGS "-n32 -OPT:Olimit=0 -DPROTOTYPE"
setenv XFFLAGS "-n32 -OPT:Olimit=0 -nocpp"
setenv COPTIM -O
setenv FOPTIM -O2
setenv SHARE_LIB "ld -n32 -shared -all libccp4.a -o libccp4.so"
setenv SHARED_LIB_FLAGS -n32
mkdir /var/tmp/ccp4
configure --tmpdir=/var/tmp/ccp4 --with-x --with-shared-lib irix
make
make install
make clean empty-targets

This runs without problems here (Irix 6.5 and compiler 7.3.1.2m), and is
50-100% faster than -o32.

2) the system-supplied "/usr/sbin/patch" program could not apply the
CCP4-supplied ccp4-4.1-4.1.1 patch. I downloaded the latest version of
'patch' from
http://toolbox.sgi.com//TasteOfDT/public/freeware/Dist/fw_patch-2.5.4.tardist
(found that on http://freeware.sgi.com) and that worked fine. That new
version of 'patch' has the --dry-run option which lets you test a patch
for clean application before actually applying it.

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs         http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay
email: Kay.Diederichs@uni-konstanz.de  Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183