Re: [ccp4bb]: how to prepare images for submission?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Yong TANG wrote:

> I'm preparing some color images for structure paper submission. However, there is still not satisfactory solution for producing images of required resolution.
> Any image croped by snapshot on the SGI work stations only has a resolution of 72 dpi, making it unrealistic for futher processing or direct submission. Trial-and-error photography of these images displayed on the screen using the best film-loaded or digital camaras suffers a lot from the over-saturation of local white regions and the white margines of imgview or imgworks, and terrible distorion of the image by the screen.
> Could any person give me some tips about this issue?

I realise this is a workaround, but why not have a look at Swiss-PdbViewer
(http://www.expasy.ch/spdbv/)? In combination with POV-Ray
(http://www.povray.org/) it can produce stunning pictures for publication
(including ones showing electron density maps).
Plus, both programs are free, and there are versions for all major

Good luck, Luca

 Luca Jovine, Ph.D.
 Mount Sinai School of Medicine
 Annenberg Building, Room 25-18
 One Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY 10029-6574, U.S.A.
 Voice: +1.212.241-8620  FAX: +1.212.831-7126  eFAX: +1.509.356-2832
 E-Mail: jovinl02@doc.mssm.edu  W3: http://www.mssm.edu/students/jovinl02