Re: [ccp4bb]: Movies for PowerPoints.

We also use Mark Harris's molray for general rotations, but we've used a
couple other methods which produce good output with relatively little
effort.

1 - There is a version of molscript available that outputs in povray
format.  Adding a header to the outputted povray file to rotate it is
relatively simple.  The output is a series of images that can be seamed
together with gifsicle for animated gifs or moviemaker on the sgi's for
quicktime output.  We then take either form and convert it to avi with
Quicktime pro or just keep it in quicktime.  I've been playing with the
idea of making a script to add this header automatically, but haven't
gotten around to it. Is there interest in this? It shouldn't be a very
big project.

2 - To make movies that "morph" we use "lsqman".  lsqman will output a
series of images between two positions.  we then takes these images and
seem them together in the same way as above.

3 - If you want to put two movies side by side (a favorite of my PI) you
can use "montage" from the ImageMagick suite.  We have a few tricks that
make the movies play a bit better and I use a couple of very simple perl
scripts to avoid some ugly command lines, but it isn't too difficult.
(You are a bit limited with this format since not all movie formats like
movies which are not perfect squares.

4 - If none of the above work we can kick out a series of stills from
ribbons, molscript/bobscript or even O and seem them together, but thus
far this has not been used for anything serious.

Eric Ross
University of Utah
Department of Biochemistry
Chris Hill Lab