Re: [ccp4bb]: Re: (fwd)

On Monday, March 18, 2002, at 07:00 PM, marius wrote:

>> Any ideas out there how fast the conformations of side chain
>> double conformations might interchange ? More specifically:
>> How often (per second) hops the side chain
>> from conformation one into the other or back.
>> Please, refer to  literature.
>
> You start by making the assumption that the disorder is dynamic, ie
> they do hop a
> few times per second, while the disorder might well be (and is in many
> cases)
> static.
>
> Tried a PUBMED search first ?

    If I remember correctly, there is a discussion of this topic in the
book

    Proteins: A Theoretical Perspective of Dynamics, Structure and
Thermodynamics
     By Charles L. Brooks,Martin Karplus,B. Montgomery.

Specifically, it was about the timescale for PHE sidechains to flip.

  Richard Gillilan
  MacCHESS
  Cornell University