Re: [ccp4bb]: question about Linux-based crystallographic computing(fwd)

Synopsis of the my interpretation of responses to my inquiry about Linux-based
computing for crystallography (CCP4, CNS, SHELX, SOLVE....)

1.   Athlon or Pentium chips given their price don't offer THAT much greater
benefit than Alpha, and Athlons seem to be a favorite due to lower cost and
excellent performance.  Use the best compilers (not g77?) to get best
performance

2.  Linux Clusters offer good option for more than two processor server

3.  Reasonably priced RAID storage options available for peace of mind

4.  Stereo graphics can still be a problem under Linux?- OSX as an alternative
to Linux then generated a whole series of comments about OSX that I am not
qualified to summarize.

5.  If we started hunting "bipedal lizards through gloomy tunnels with a
shotgun" Apple might become the new SGI for crystallographers

Thanks to all the guru responses to this probably oft-asked question.

Laurie
--
Laurie Betts,  Ph.D.
Facility Manager