[ccp4bb]: Re: [o-info] R-sym I/sigI etc...

1. Is this a policy of the journal, or the advice of one particular referee?
I didn't see anything in the instructions to authors saying that authors
with Rsym in the last shell above 50% need not submit.

2. The problem is that the journal/referee wants to use the resolution
cutoff as an indicator of the quality of the crystal/structure,
and this interferes with our use of it as a parameter to be chosen
in optimizing the refinement strategy. It has to be admitted that the
resolution cutoff is not a useful measure of structure quality if
90% of the reflections in the last shell are below the noise level.

Maybe you could publish the structure at say 2.0 A but say in the text
that in the final refinement an additional 17,000 reflections between
1.8 and 2.0 A with I/sigma greater than one were used. Or vice versa use all
the data in the statistics table, but note that the R-sym exceeded
50% beyond 2.0 A and in the title say "Structure of xyz protein at 2.0 A".

There was a ccp4bb thread ("a simple question of resolution")
a few months back discussing useful indicators of data resolution,
and I think the consensus was for the "optical" resolution
as calculated by e.g. CCP4 sfcheck. sfcheck calculates resolution
and b-factor based on the width of the Patterson origin peak.
This is calculated from the unphased data, making it suitable
for a crystallization paper where you can't give R-free in the
last shell.
In my experience optical resolution is higher (smaller number)
than even the most liberal d-spacing cuttoff one would use
(after all optical resolution is measuring a different thing)
and so might unfairly impress a referee who is not aware of
this. Does anyone know a theoretical relation between the
optical resolution of a dataset and the D-spacing at which
it is truncated, supposing strong data all the way?